This typical Mediterranean town is located at the end of Kotor Bay, which sits on the Montenegrin coast in the southern Adriatic. Due to the history of Kotor, it is the oldest town in Montenegro and is now a historical monument protected by the state. This town of Kotor has belong to many countries, around 3 B.C. the town was colonized by the Greeks, and later was an affiliate of Roman and Byzantine empires. In 1797, this town became a vital naval base under Austria's possession. In 1918, after World War II, this town became the property of Yugoslavia and is now included in the constituent republic of Montenegro. Kotor has been a 16th century cathedral, town walls, and a medieval fort.